Re: A GTK-only problem when making frames invisible

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: A GTK-only problem when making frames invisible
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 23:28:24 +0100

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 22:47:16 +0100 martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

>> When I execute your recipe, after the make-frame-invisible invocation
>> the new frame get minimized, i.e., is only represented on the desktop as
>> an entry in the task bar (or panel in KDE terminology), and the
>> frame-visible-p invocation returns t.  Is that expected?
>
> No.  The frame should disappear from the taskbar:
>
>      On graphical displays, invisible frames are not updated and are
>      usually not displayed at all, even in a window system’s "taskbar".

I must have misinterpreted what I saw, because now after
make-frame-invisible the new frame does indeed vanish, also from the
taskbar.  Sorry for the confusion, I don't know how I thought it was
different before.  However, frame-visible-p still returns t (not
`icon').

> Can you try with an earlier version?

I don't have an earlier build from master than from 2017-01-25, which
behaves the same.  However, with my build from emacs-25 from 2016-11-16,
frame-visible-p returns nil.

>                                       And is there any difference if, as
> a second step, you do (iconify-frame frame) instead?

This does minimize the frame to the taskbar, and frame-visible-p returns
`icon' instead of t.

Steve Berman