Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 18:54:16 -0500

  > Look this way: They could have rendered the whole html that you see in the
  > server side, and still there are tons of websites that do that. and in that
  > case you would have just the bare html and css in your hands,

That's the way they SHOULD do it.

                                                                  which doesn't
  > change the fact that you are using non-free software that generates that
  > html;

No you aren't.  That code isn't working for you.  It's working for the
owner of the web server, and that's who should have control over it.

  > but instead they chose to split the software: they hand it to your browser
  > a piece of the software in js so that you can have a more dynamic
  > experience.

That's exactly what's wrong: trying to run their code on my computer,
without giving me control over it.

I don't expect or ask to have control over the code that runs on their
web server.  That code is doing their computing(*), so I think they
ought to have control over it.  I don't have a copy of it in any form
-- neither source nor binary.

However, I insist on having control over the code that runs on my
computer.  It has to be free, and I should be able to install a
different version and change it.

  > I trust that
  > it is written in a way that stops client js code from doing harm to my
  > privacy and freedom.

If you're running it and you don't have control over it, that is
denying you freedom.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html.

* That's nornally the case, but there are exceptions.  If that code is
doing my computing, then it is SaaSS, which is wrong.  See
https://gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman