Re: Installing binaries with package.el

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Installing binaries with package.el
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 08:22:35 +0100

On 2017-02-07, at 06:33, Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2017-02-07 00:29, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> On 2017-02-07, at 03:09, Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi emacs-devel,
>>>
>>> Can package.el install binaries?  That is, if my package includes a
>>> command line interface, can I ask package.el to install it to
>>> somewhere like .emacs.d/bin, or ~/.bin?  Or should I do this by
>>> adding autoloaded code that runs at package installation time?
>>
>> What do I know, but doesn't pdf-tools do that exactly?
>
> Cool.  Can you explain a bit more?  AFAICT pdf-tools tries to compile a C
> program as part of its installation; is that what you had in mind?  Or does
> pdf-tools also install a binary somewhere (with the expectation that the user
> would add it to their path)?

I have no idea, frankly speaking.  AFAIK, pdf-tools does use /some/
binary, and is installed via package-install (and AFAIR, I didn't have
to add anything to the $PATH variable) - so there must be some way it
does it, and that's practically all I know.  (One more thing, I don't
know whether it's significant, but I have to reinstall it every time
I compile a new Emacs.  No idea why exactly.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski