Re: Installing binaries with package.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Installing binaries with package.el
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 10:33:18 -0500

[ BTW, I'd really like to see pdf-tools in elpa.git.  ]

>> Cool.  Can you explain a bit more?  AFAICT pdf-tools tries to compile
>> a C program as part of its installation;
> Yes, that's it.  There is simply a auto-load cookie above the
> installation Elisp.  This gets copied by package to the auto-load file
> and evaluated as part of the final steps of installing the package.
> Its pretty ugly.

Any reason why you do it as part of the autoloads rather than as part of
the compilation of the package?
[ I can see some advantages, but I'm curious what were the reasons in
  your case.  ]

> It would be really helpful if package could provide some appropriate
> hooks, i.e pre-remove, post-install and when ever else it could be
> useful.

In the case of pdf-tools, what kind of pre-remove would be needed?

        Stefan