Re: Installing binaries with package.el

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Installing binaries with package.el
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 20:47:04 +0100

Clément Pit-Claudel writes:
> Sorry, maybe my original question wasn't clear.  The question was: I
> wrote a command line utility in ELisp (it doesn't provide interactive
> commands; just a command line interface).  What's the preferred way
> for users to install it?

I understood that to be the case, but it's a very surprising use of
package.el and ELisp.  As I said I don't really have a suggestion at the
moment, but this particular use case should not be handled as an "Emacs
package".  You use Emacs as a VM for some scripting here.

>> I simply don't think that wrapper scripts and/or compiling binaries
>> is appropriate for ELPA packages, it just opens one big can of worms
>> that I don't really want to deal with in any way.
>
> I don't understand this part too well.  Are you saying that ELPA isn't
> the right place to distribute a command line application written
> entirely in ELisp?  (Note that the task that I'm describing has
> nothing to do with compiling binaries — sorry if that wasn't clear).

Well, I would want to distinguish between Emacs packages proper and
Emacs as a scripting VM.  The more I think about it, package.el should
guarantee that it doesn't write outside the package directory unless it
has explicit user consent.

Regards,
Achim.