Re: bug#16026: Connection specific settings and proxies

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: bug#16026: Connection specific settings and proxies
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:17:22 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ted,

> MA> Well, I'm a little bit lost. What does the defgroup here? I understand
> MA> that replaces what you have called initially an application, but I don't
> MA> see what defcustoms shall be placed now under the defgroup
> MA> hierarchy. Could you pls give an example?
>
> It's just a categorization. It would simply be the defgroup of an
> existing application. That way you don't have to invent a new symbol for
> every application that wants to use a connection profile and has the
> defgroup declared already. For example, 'gnus for Gnus. So in `M-x
> customize-group Gnus' you would maybe see an extra button to list and
> modify the Gnus-specific connection profiles.
>
> Connection profiles without a defgroup (application) symbol belong to
> all applications.

So we shall say that it's optional. Maybe you did already, and I've overseen.

> MA> I also know that there are users reluctant to the customization
> MA> machinery. Wouldn't we loose them?
>
> Customize wouldn't be required. It's just an easy way to connect the
> profile with other application-specific customizations, but users should
> be able to add or modify profiles directly.

We shouldn't even call this "defgroup", but still "application". We
might say then, if the application symbol is also an existing defgroup,
then there will be bonus features in the customization. But it still
shall work if a corresponding defgroup doesn't exist.

> Does that make sense?

I'm still sorting out. Will try to puzzle an example in order to see how
it goes. (And as usual, much to less time to spend)

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.