Re: [elpa] master 550ae83 1/2: [gnugo int] Decruft: Don't declare hook a

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 550ae83 1/2: [gnugo int] Decruft: Don't declare hook and keymap vars.
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:04:56 -0500

>    The main benefit is that there's a clear place where the mode
>    map is defined and `C-h o` will get you there.
> Thanks for the tip.  ‘C-h o’ is new to me.

It's indeed newish, but it's just a combination of C-h f and C-h v.
C-h v would also get you there: I just used `C-h o` because I'm trying
to advertise this new functionality.

> I'll release, wait a year or two for complaints, and revisit the
> decision then -- perhaps ‘C-h o’ will in the meantime learn how
> to accomodate some non-idiomatic forms, such as this one.

`C-h o` and `C-h v` work by making you jump to "the definition" but in
your case, "the definition" is in define-derived-mode and is just not
very interesting.  `C-h v` might get there, but that's not what the user
wants to see.  Instead she'll probably want to see the place where the
default bindings are set up, but it's difficult for Emacs to distinguish
a define-key executed within your `if` from a define-key executed
anywhere else, and it's even more difficult for Emacs to guess that your
`if` test is trying to guess if the map is already defined.  So there's
very little hope for `C-h o` to improve in this respect.

        Stefan