Re: [OT] What's wrong with Gnus citations?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [OT] What's wrong with Gnus citations?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:59:16 -0500

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:57:56 -0800 John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

>> John, why does Gnus reverse "SL" as if it were some RTL script?

>> This is not the first time I see this; here's another, even more hilarious,
>> example:

JW> Sigh, this is flyspell-auto-correct-mode messing with me, since apparently
it
JW> thinks LS is correct, but SL is not. I try to fix these by hand before I
send,
JW> but I sometimes forget. If I disable it entirely, even more hilarity will
JW> result within the bodies of my messages.

JW> The real solution will be to change flyspell-auto-correct to ignore any word
JW> that ends in >.

Flyspell could ignore text with the face `message-cited-text' like it
does with `flyspell-prog-mode' and `flyspell-prog-text-faces':

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defvar flyspell-prog-text-faces
  '(font-lock-string-face font-lock-comment-face font-lock-doc-face)
  "Faces corresponding to text in programming-mode buffers.")

(defun flyspell-generic-progmode-verify ()
  "Used for `flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate' in programming modes."
  ;; (point) is next char after the word. Must check one char before.
  (let ((f (get-text-property (- (point) 1) 'face)))
    (memq f flyspell-prog-text-faces)))
  (setq flyspell-generic-check-word-predicate
        #'flyspell-generic-progmode-verify)
#+end_src

John, it's easy to add this manually to your own setup, but maybe we can
make it work for everyone. I don't know if it should go into message.el
or flyspell.el though?

Ted