Re: master updated (e6041a0 -> 6220fae)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master updated (e6041a0 -> 6220fae)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 17:26:12 +0200

> From: Michal Nazarewicz <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:51:00 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Fri, Feb 17 2017, Glenn Morris wrote:
> > Hi - this fails to bootstrap from a truly clean tree (probably you
> > need to "make extraclean" in an existing tree to see it).
> >
> > Ref: http://hydra.nixos.org/build/48774928

> >   Wrong type argument: char-table-p, nil
>
> Unicode tables aren’t available and this causes the failure. ;/

I think they are not available because the uni-*.el files were not yet
produced.  Is that right?

If so, you could try conditioning the code on the availability of the
Unicode tables, because by the time characters.el is byte-compiled,
they will be.  And when we load characters.el as source, we hopefully
don't need syntax-table yet.

> I don’t fully comprehend how bootstrapping work just yet though.  In
> particular, characters.el has:
>
>     (when (setq unicode-category-table
>                 (unicode-property-table-internal 'general-category))
>       (map-char-table #'(lambda (key val) …)
>                       unicode-category-table))
>
> So perhaps it’s enough to hard-code syntax-table for ASCII and update
> the rest with similar conditional?

Yes.  But first I'd try not to hard-code anything at all.

Thanks.