Re: Compiled code in Emacs-26 will fail in Emacs-25 if use pcase [was: A

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Compiled code in Emacs-26 will fail in Emacs-25 if use pcase [was: Add new bytecode op `switch' for implementing branch tables.]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 10:10:27 -0500

> I have this in my emacs config for a while now.
> It works pretty well. It also allows you to use an older emacs version
> without have to mess up the compiled elpa dir of the current version. The
> only side-effect is that when switching major versions the package
> updates/installs will happen independently.
>
> (setq package-user-dir (format "%selpa_%s/"
>                                user-emacs-directory emacs-major-version))

If it works for you, that's great.  Personally I'd find it annoying to
have a different set of installed packages per Emacs version.

I hope Emacs can slowly move toward a model where Elisp is byte-compiled
automatically and kept in a version-specific place (call it a cache) so
users don't have to know about bytecode compatibility issues.

        Stefan