Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bug #25608 and the comment-cache branch
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 00:46:51 -0700

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> Maybe the real issue is that starting from syntax-table +
Stefan> syntax-propertize + font-lock is a losing proposition, and instead we
Stefan> should first come up with a completely different design (from scratch)
Stefan> that would be able to parse and highlight code and to accommodate
Stefan> multiple major modes.  Then we can maybe see if there's a way to evolve
Stefan> the current design of syntax-table + syntax-propertize + font-lock to
Stefan> that new design.

As you know I'm interested in this area via my work on html/js/css.
However I am not really aware of what the problems might be; syntax-ppss
seems just fine.

(I did read the comment cache thread but my takeaway from that was just
that there's a disagreement about the correct behavior various things in
the face of narrowing; which seems like a pretty limited sort of thing.)

Anyway, I'm writing to say that it would be illuminating to have someone
in the know (i.e., you) write up a description of the actual problems;
then from there proceed to what the solutions might be.

Tom