Re: vc with svn and git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc with svn and git
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:16:38 -0500

>> I think there's a caching layer going on -- that appears to be what
>> this block is about:
>>
>> ((and (boundp 'file-name-handler-alist)
>> (setq handler (find-file-name-handler file 'vc-registered)))
>> ;; handler should set vc-backend and return t if registered
>> (funcall handler 'vc-registered file))

This is not a cache.  It's a hook that was meant (I think) to support VC
on remote file names (or maybe even within tarballs).  I don't know that
it's ever been used (then again, I'm biased because I never liked this
hook, so don't take my word for it).

> There's no particular reason for even a single directory not to
> contain more than one of .svn, .git, RCS, CVS subdirectories and/or ,v
> and s. files.

That's right.  It's perfectly normal to have more than one backend
covering the same files.

> VC should ask what backend to use in case of ambiguity,

That tends to be rather annoying, in my experience.

> and there should be a way to force reprompt.

There is, it's called `vc-switch-backend` (except it doesn't prompt, but
lets you cycle, at least if it still works: I haven't used it in a long
while).

        Stefan