Re: Syntax ambiguities in narrowed buffers and multiple major modes: a p

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Syntax ambiguities in narrowed buffers and multiple major modes: a proposed solution.
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 19:24:41 +0700

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> In that case, we'd need some other term to mean what I'm calling an
> "island", i.e. a region of buffer bounded by island open/close
> syntax-table text properties, possibly with its own syntax table, which
> is syntactically disjoint from the surrounding buffer pieces.

In many languages, conventions exist for including formal
documentation in the source. In Elisp and Python, it is syntactically
expressed as a string. In Javadoc and Doxygen (used for C and C++), it
takes the form of a specially formatted comment. In C#, it is a
comment containing XML markup.

In all cases, the documentation has its own syntax, distinct from the
syntax of the surrounding program, and may benefit from local
bindings. Totally a use case for islands.