Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 07:37:56 -0500

> On Feb 25, 2017, at 09:52, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 09:19:38 -0500
>> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>>
>> I also tracked down my new ja-dic-cnv problem.  It looks like SKK-JISYO.L
>> was being mangled on read because the input sequences weren’t recognized as
>> Unicode compatible; this caused the resulting buffer not to be considered
>> UTF-8 compatible, so it prompted for a coding system to write with.  Calling
>> unify-charset on the various charsets seems to be needed.
>
> Is this part in the repository?  Because I still get prompted for an
> encoding when producing ja-dic.el:

Yes, change d864464 has the unify-charset changes.

>    GEN      ../lisp/leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el
>  Reading file "d:/gnu/git/emacs/no-unexec/leim/SKK-DIC/SKK-JISYO.L" ...
>  Processing OKURI-ARI entries ...
>  Processing POSTFIX entries ...
>  Processing PREFIX entries ...
>  Collecting OKURI-NASI entries ...
>  collected 26% ...
>  collected 30% ...
>  collected 40% ...
>  collected 50% ...
>  collected 60% ...
>  collected 70% ...
>  collected 80% ...
>  collected 90% ...
>  Processing OKURI-NASI entries ...
>  processed 10% ...
>  processed 20% ...
>  processed 30% ...
>  processed 40% ...
>  processed 50% ...
>  processed 60% ...
>  processed 70% ...
>  processed 80% ...
>  processed 90% ...
>  processed 100% ...
>  Select coding system (default japanese-shift-jis): utf-8-unix
>
> I needed to type utf-8-unix by hand.  Any ideas?  Is it possible that
> this happens because my default encoding is not UTF-8?

Looks like my environment has LANG=en_US.UTF-8, on Mac and GNU/Linux.  But
setting LANG=C or en_US.ISO8859-1 doesn’t seem to cause the build to get hung
up this way for me.

Did you do a full bootstrap after updating?  An outdated dumped.elc could
certainly do this, and I know at least some of the dependencies aren’t current
with the changes on the branch.  (I’ve taken to going as far as “git clean -f
-d -x”, then using autogen.sh, configure, and “make bootstrap”, fairly often.)

> I also pushed a small Windows-specific change to the branch, to allow
> Windows users try building this branch.

Great!

> Also, it looks like the logic in startup.el that should bypass certain
> stuff under -Q isn't working, because I see my abbrevs being loaded
> even though I invoked "emacs -Q".  Thoughts?

Strange… this is also working for me.  At least, settings from my .emacs aren’t
being applied, when I use “emacs -Q”.

Ken