Re: Request for advice on GNUS internals. GSSAPI progress report

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Request for advice on GNUS internals. GSSAPI progress report
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 17:29:23 +0100

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know about POP3, does anyone still use that? It's definitely
> supported for SMTP, and now that you mention it, I have to implement
> that support too. It would be a pretty useless feature if you can read
> your mail without requiring a stored password, but still needing it to
> send them. :-)

If this is relevant to a lot of the different protocols, perhaps it
would make more sense to put this into the Emacs core like the TLS
support?  Then each protocol wouldn't have to be modified this much to
support it across Emacs...

Today they pretty much all say

  (make-network-process ... :tls-parameters ...)

and that's all they have to know about whether the socket uses TLS or
not.  If you'd add a :gssapi-parameters thing to that function, that
might make sense.

But like I said, I know naaathing about GSSAPI, so I have no idea
whether this makes sense.  :-)  I just thought I'd mention it.