Re: Syntax ambiguities in narrowed buffers and multiple major modes: a p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Syntax ambiguities in narrowed buffers and multiple major modes: a proposed solution.
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:09:54 -0500

>> Yes, the state depends on where we start parsing.  But there is
>> a privileged state which is the one rendered visible via font-lock, and
>> that's the one syntax-ppss intends to cache.
> That sounds like an intended resolution of the current ambiguity of the
> starting position of syntax-ppss's cache.  Or am I reading too much into
> the sentence?

I think you're reading too much into it ;-)
E.g. in order for font-lock to give the right result, we sometimes need
to run it (and syntax-ppss) on an "island".

> OK.  But any time the current syntax-table is changed, the cache becomes
> invalid.  For such operations, there really needs to be a means of
> isolating the cache from the syntactic operations, and vice versa.

That's right.  But I think it's important to be able to *temporarily*
invalidate the cache (so as soon as you leave the with-syntax-table,
the old cache is reinstated).

        Stefan