Re: wrong cursor position reported when window margins are wide

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: wrong cursor position reported when window margins are wide
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 21:41:13 +0100

From: Joost Kremers <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:01:22 +0100
It seems that when the window margins of an Emacs window are non-nil, the cursor position is reported incorrectly, resulting in the input box being displayed in the wrong place.

The original bug report is here:

<https://github.com/joostkremers/visual-fill-column/issues/25#issuecomment-281844388>

There are screen shots that illustrate the problem. (Scroll down a bit for screen shots with `emacs -Q'.)

Sorry, I couldn't understand what is meant by "cursor position
reporting". Could you clarify,

Honestly, I'm in way over my head here, so I'm mainly going by this FAQ on the Fcitx site:

https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/FAQ#Cursor_Following_problem

which admittedly doesn't provide much info, either. Basically, from what I gather, Fcitx and ibus and similar input methods pop up an input box that follows the text cursor as you type. In order to do so, they need to know the absolute position of the text cursor on the screen. And in order to be able to determine (calculate?) this position, they need some info from the windowing system, which in turn receives this info from the active application.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I know nothing about the internals of the X Window System, nor am I well-versed enough in C to go through the Fcitx source and figure out what information it is exactly that Fcitx requires from X. I was kinda hoping that someone here has more clue than I do and could help out.

and perhaps show an example of how
that reported position changes when a window has display margins?

Apparently, judging by the screen shots posted in the Github thread, the reported position does *not* change, even though it should.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments