Re: Build failure on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build failure on Windows
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:44:53 +0200

> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 10:45:16 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  >> I need an optimized build for coding and non-optimized one for
>  >> debugging.  How else could I reconcile these?
>  >
>  > I didn't mean to suggest you should build from inside the tree, just
>  > to explain why I might miss problems that you are bumping into.
>
> After all nt/INSTALL says
>
>    1. If you want to build Emacs outside of the source tree
>       (recommended), create the build directory and chdir there.
>
> Maybe we should remove that recommendation?

I don't see why.  Your problems are all related to outdated Lisp
files, so out-of-tree builds are unlikely to be a factor.  (Which
means I again don't understand why you report a perceptible
degradation in build success rates, while I don't see anything close
to that.)

>  > Are the failures always with outdated Lisp files?  Or are they due to
>  > other aspects of the build?
>
> I had three typical groups of failures (some of them also on GNU/Linux
> IIRC):
>
> - The "require cl-lib" ones - by far the largest group and by far the
>    greatest annoyance.  Do we really need cl-lib in preloaded Elisp?  OK,
>    this ship sailed long ago ...
>
> - More specific cl-generic.el related errors.  IIRC usually something
>    about cl-defgeneric but I don't recall the precise text any more.
>    probably a subgroup of the first one.
>
> - Something I certainly never saw before about invalid bytecode.

These are all related to outdated *.elc files.

> Also, failures occurred only when a configure step was performed before
> (which is probably obvious).  Pure makes never failed.

You mean, when configure is run automatically by "make"?