Re: etags failing with structure members

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etags failing with structure members
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 18:37:37 +0200

> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 10:42:23 -0500
> Cc: martin rudalics <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > They look like a beginning of a K&R style function definition:
>
> For many contemporary codebases support for K&R is only a liability.
> Might it be possible to drop such support (at least optionally)?

Even if we'd decided to drop that (and I'm not so sure we should),
someone would still need to rework the humongous state machine in
C_entries and consider_token (which supports all C-like languages,
including C++, ObjC, Java, etc.) to get rid of that cleanly.  If such
a volunteer steps forward, this question will become something we (and
the volunteer) should consider, yes.  But until that time, simple
localized changes are all we can afford, unfortunately, at least as
long as I'm the only one who dares to touch etags bugs.