Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 19:43:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> Right, so clearly the "is it a method name, or a host name" check is
> performed in Elisp code, not in a regexp.  So what did you mean by:
>
>     But the check, whether the host name in /ssh:foo collides with
>     a method, happens too late, because file name handlers are fired by
>     parsing the file name, and not by additional checks (like a function
>     call).
>
> ?

When the Tramp file name handler is invoked, it is not clear whether
"ssh" is a method or a host name. "foo" could be part of a host name or
a local name.

>> It would be preferable to extend the second regexp such a way, that
>> remote file names like "/ssh:whatever" are not allowed.
>
> Why?
>
> Also, I'm still curious about:
> What currently breaks if tramp-completion-mode-p always returns nil?

Well, I have decided today to solve this for now and ever. I'm changing
Tramp that a method name is mandatory. A remote file name is now always

  /method:address@hidden:

"method" could be "-". The "user@" and "host" parts are optional.

Whoever wants to keep ange-ftp style syntax, is obliged to enter the
Tramp maintenance team ...

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.