Re: [ELPA] I regret using subtree

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] I regret using subtree
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 00:49:55 -0700

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
> () Sun, 12 Mar 2017 17:22:37 -0700
>
>    regret having used the subtree approach to squash
>    Gnorb into Elpa
>
> Just curious: What is it you regret about it?  TIA.

I don't have a strong enough grasp of git to feel confident with the
relevant invocations -- I get it, but I don't grok it. There was a
period of a year and a half when I did not update gnorb because I lost
my saved "git subtree pull --squash" incantation, and just couldn't be
bothered to read the blog posts and reconstruct it. I still don't know
why it makes me do a merge commit afterwards.

I use git daily, but at a pretty shallow level. I hate deployment
friction, and that's what this turned out to be. I once laughed at
Python's fabric, because it does almost nothing, yet now I use "fab
deploy" (with test integration) as a matter of course, and bugs get
fixed.

If I knew git better it would be no problem, I'm sure, but I'm not
interested in becoming a git expert. I like to keep it to feature
branches, rebasing to master, and pushing.

Eric