Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 19:30:54 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 18:23:45 +0100

> >> Can we get rid of this somehow?  It used to be possible to avoid
> >
> > I'm just working on changing Tramp to require always a method. After
> > that, I'll check whether we could optimize the autoloads.
>
> Pls check; according to my tests, Tramp is loaded much later now.

What I see here is that it's loaded whenever file-name completion is
invoked by pressing TAB or RET.  Before that, it doesn't get loaded.
That's good progress, thanks.

> A local file name should not cause Tramp being loaded except in case of
> file name completion, when Tramp expects a file name "/foo" could be
> extended to a remote file name.

I have a directory ~/data.  Is it expected that typing "C-x C-f ~/dat TAB"
should load Tramp?  If that's expected, why is Tramp interested in
completions of such file names?

Thanks.