issue with mail-extract-address-components

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: issue with mail-extract-address-components
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 13:11:13 -0700

I got an email with a malformed CC line:

Lörsch, Karl <address@hidden>, "Wegner, Simon" <address@hidden>

Ie, no quotes around the first name. `mail-extract-address-components'
splits on the comma, as I suppose it should, and its return value is:

(("Lörsch" "Lörsch")
 ("Karl" "address@hidden")
 ("Simon Wegner" "address@hidden"))

It's doing the best it can here, but I would expect ("Lörsch" nil) as
the first element, which would make it easier for other functions to
handle the return value correctly.

Comments in mail-extr.el allude to a corpus of test cases too vast to be
included in the codebase, and direct us to the Maintainer if we find
cases that need to be handled. But those comments are from 1994, and the
Maintainer is this mailing list, so...

Does anyone have an opinion about this? I suppose handling the CC line
"correctly" would be the wrong thing to do, but I sure would prefer
("Lörsch" nil).

Thanks,
Eric