libnettle/libhogweed WIP (was: request to reconsider libnettle/libhogwee

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: libnettle/libhogweed WIP (was: request to reconsider libnettle/libhogweed)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:19:32 -0400

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 17:55:07 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 09:59:59 -0500
>>
>> * personally, I would rather make the core more functional out of the
>> box, so my proposal is to go back to the original C patch instead of
>> inventing a module distribution system. (A module distribution system
>> may yet make sense, and I have nothing against it, but I don't want to
>> wait more years for it or invent it.)

EZ> Please show the patch, perhaps after updating it to match the current
EZ> master, and let's discuss then.

I did some work, at least to shut up the warnings, but it's far from
ready. I pushed it into the branch scratch/tzz/nettle for now. If you
could take a look, that would be very helpful.

Issues:

* the ERT tests need to be moved

* maybe there's a better way than using the NETTLE_STRING_EQUAL_UNIBYTE
  macro to compare Emacs and C strings?

* several times I've forced casts to shut up warnings, and generally
  could use some help converting between C bytes and the ELisp strings

* data is not wiped after use

* the APIs are primitive, matching the C API pretty closely. I would
  like to leave it to the ELisp packages to create abstractions on top
  of nettle.el, but maybe others have suggestions?

* it compiles but doesn't link: "error adding symbols: DSO missing from
  command line" which I hope is something trivial

Thanks
Ted