Re: Image formats support

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Image formats support
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 00:08:13 +0100

Is there a down-side to this, apart from the exe becoming a little bigger
?

I run Windows so the exe is not bigger because the dlls are dynamically loaded.
My problem is rather  about emacs configuration. Various packages are able to generate
preview images on the fly. How a normal user will know that ImageMagick or libpng
will render those images ? How to switch from one to the other if needed ?
Or should ImageMagick supersede everything else when it is available ?

Also some packages call mogrify to resize images. If emacs is compiled with
ImageMagick support, surely the cost of calling an external program can be spared.

I had the feeling that when ImageMagick support is compiled in, the other graphic format
libraries could be removed. But that may not be that simple.
I hoped that someone had a good overview of the various options and comment on that
feeling.

Fabrice