Re: html, css, and js modes working together

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: html, css, and js modes working together
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:15:44 +0200

Hi Tom,

On 19.03.2017 19:30, Tom Tromey wrote:

At this point I think I'm nearly ready to start checking things in.
The current state is:

* I have a bunch of small patches to change various things to use
   derived-mode-p rather than eq.  This is needed to deal with having the
   new mode not be html-mode.  I don't really want to test most of these
   (like changes in viper or cedet, about which I know very little), so I
   thought I'd send them for review.  The changes are all very small.

* Most basic functionality works, like fontification, indentation,
   flyspell, and comment-*.

* Imenu and some other things don't work, but I think it's better to
   move forward with what we have than to fix every feature beforehand.
   I wonder if you agree.

* I need to write some tests.  I think this plus documentation is the
   last bit I need to do.

Sounds good!

* One open question is whether the new mode should run prog-mode-hook.
   It is sort of both a prog mode and a text mode.

IIRC Stefan opined that all programming-related modes should derive from prog-mode. On the other hand, it would be weird if this mode does, but html-mode does not.