Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:42:43 -0600

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

Paul> On 03/20/2017 04:26 AM, Robert Marshall wrote:
>>> './autogen.sh' and then './configure'. Although there's a bit of pain
>>> now (and there will probably be some shakeout bugs), I hope that the
>>> new approach causes fewer gnulib.mk etc. glitches in the future.
>> I've run both those but am getting a build failure

Paul> Thanks for reporting that. I installed the attached, which I hope
Paul> fixes things; please try it again.

This change seems too aggressive to me.  IIUC it will cause a full
rebuild for any re-run of configure, no matter now innocuous.

FWIW Automake implements a solution to the "deleted header file"
problem, just to deal with situations like this.  In particular it
arranges to emit a dummy "whatever.h:" target for any referenced header.
This allows dependencies to work without breaking the build if the
header is changed.  GCC's "-MP" option is used for this when available.

I hope that's relevant :), as I'm not 100% sure this was the problem
that lead to this particular patch.

If not, is there some other way to fix the problem, whatever it was?

thanks,
Tom