Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:23:16 -0700

On 03/21/2017 10:42 AM, Tom Tromey wrote:
IIUC it will cause a full
rebuild for any re-run of configure, no matter now innocuous.

Yes, it does require recompiling to rebuild *.o files and executables. Though that isn't a full build, it can take quite some time. On my aging desktop, 'configure' takes 58 seconds, and the followup 'make' takes 61 seconds.

There is a tradeoff between speed and correctness, since 'configure' can change Makefiles, which means a full rebuild might be needed no matter what. But you're right, the change I installed was probably too aggressive for typical use. So I changed 'configure' back, so that it no longer removes *.o and dependency files. This means Robert Marshall will probably have to do a full rebuild by hand.

FWIW Automake implements a solution to the "deleted header file"
problem, just to deal with situations like this.

That solution wouldn't have worked for this particular problem even if we were still using Automake, as the dependencies in question were not generated by GCC or by Automake. Sometimes after a big change, one must simply do the full './autogen.sh; ./configure; make' dance, as our default shortcuts are not safe in general.