Re: Continuous integration

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 20:40:26 -0000

On Tue, March 21, 2017 7:46 pm, Michael Albinus wrote:
> "Phillip Lord" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> To some extent it's already there.
>>

>> https://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/emacs-trunk/all
>>

>> It doesnt work for every branch though, which is unfortunate, and I
>> think this is something that Emacs devel would really benefit from.
>
> hydra is helpful, although I've stopped reading the mailing list due to
> too many false reports. Maybe the situation has been improved last weeks?

I don't think so. It's a vicious circle, unfortunately. If not enough
people check it, then its more likely to be broken.

> The other point is that it focuses on GNU/Linux. This is OK, but it
> doesn't help us with our recent problem, running tests for kqueue on *BSD
> and/or OS X.

I agree with this. I had a look at buildbot and got it working cleanly (on
gnu/linux). It supports BSD, MacOS and windows workers also, as well as
build-any-branch semantics.

>From my own perspective, being able to start multi-OS CI builds on any
branch would be a very good addition to Emacs.

Phil