Re: Some problems with key bindings on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some problems with key bindings on windows
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:56:22 +0200

> From: germano carella <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 13:25:53 +0100
>
> I’ve emacs 25.1.1 on Windows 10 64 bit.
>
> I do:
>
> (setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil)
>
> (setq w32-lwindow-modifier ‘super)
>
> Now, pressing left window key doesn’t open cortana. This is ok.
>
> I tried to set, for example, win+j to a simple function that display a
> message.
>
> (global-set-key (kbd “s-j”) ‘hello)
>
> Doesn’t work. Win+j is not assigned on Windows, so it should work fine.

It works for me on Windows 7, so it's probably specific to Windows
10.  I think you will have to use Emacs 26 (from the master branch of
the development code), where Emacs can hook the keyboard at a lower
level, and thus intercept key combinations that Windows doesn't
otherwise let us see.  I think you will need to use
w32-register-hot-key, as explained in the manual.

> An other question: can be capslock and insert key be used as modifier Keys?

You will see in the manual that setting w32-enable-caps-lock to nil
will let CapsLock produce the symbol 'capslock', which you can then
bind as any other function key.  As for <insert>, you can make the
keypad Insert key produce 'kp-insert', if you turn off Num Lock.

(Sorry for delay in answering.)