Re: Continuous integration

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:22:17 +0000

raman <address@hidden> writes:

> Would be nice to target a tool that is usable from within Emacs  --
> rather than dumbing things down to a What You See Is All You Have
> browser environment.

To an extent, although, probably not to the extent that it is usuable
everywhere else. Nor to the extent that we have to develop something
specific rather than using software that already exists.

> Is it safe to assume that people developing Emacs are using Emacs as an
> editor?

As an editor, but not necessarily for everything else.

> Browser-based tools get inflicted on one in a heterogeneous  environment
> where different individuals use a variety of editors, platforms and
> machine types --- in this instance --- emacs-Development --- it would be
> nice to leverage the strenghts of Emacs if it is indeed a common
> component of our varied environments.

Both of the tools that have been mentioned (gitlab and buildbot) have
IRC interfaces, so that could be contacted this way. Another solution
would be to extend them to serve up an org file, with hyperlinks through
to logs, and so forth.

AFAICT, the current solution (hydra) doesn't offer an emacs front end.

Phil