Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:03:18 +0100

>> It's distracting for people like me who don't understand git.  Today it
>> confused me enough that I messed up the ChangeLog of my commit and did
>> not notice it before pushing.
>
> Hmmm... I can't see how that could happen if you don't actually use that
> branch, so I guess you've merged from that branch and tried to re-merge?

No.  I started to read about forced updates and didn't check the
status of my commit thoroughly.

> It's not essential, but some people like to keep branches as a clean set
> of patches on top of master, so they regularly rebase (and reorganize
> the set of patches), so in the end it doesn't give you the path that was
> followed to get there (which, while historically accurate, tends to be
> messy and hard to follow) but only "a nice path to get there", which is
> basically a single patch divided into a few commented logical steps.

Isn't one of the primary purposes of a branch (besides of sharing) to
record the historically accurate picture of how its authors arrived at
the present state?  If not I really am an idiot wrt version controlling.

martin