Re: Manual suggestions for quit-restore documentation

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Manual suggestions for quit-restore documentation
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 19:52:58 +0100

> Now I'm missing something -- I'm talking about (car quit-restore) ->
> 'other. Unless I'm really turned around, I don't see that getting checked.

Right.  What the code for 'other installs is currently checked by the

     ((and (listp (setq quad (nth 1 quit-restore)))
           (buffer-live-p (car quad))
           (eq (nth 3 quit-restore) buffer))

condition.  I didn't bother to check for 'other here since it's the only
remaining case.  But if we ever want to add a new case in addition to
'frame, 'window and 'other and that new case has the same structure as
'other, we will have to check for 'other to discriminate the new case
from the 'other case.  Hence, I recommend to use 'other even if it's
nowhere checked at the moment so code written from your recommendations
is prepared for future changes in this area.

> That's still a bit off, as it sounds like we're setting the function
> name to nil. How about:
>
> Setting the window history to nil ensures that a future call to
> @code{quit-window} can delete the window altogether.

Perfect!

>>> +re-uses the window to display the buffer.
>>
>> Would "reuses" be bad English?
>
> No, they're both acceptable spellings, "reuses" is fine.
>
> Let me know what you think about 'other, and I'll do a proper commit.

Let me know if my remark above was not clear enough.

Thanks again for working on this, martin