Re: Continuous integration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 22:09:56 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:37:53 -0400
>
> > 4) In addition to gnu/linux, can we provide a windows and mac builder,
> > given that this would by necessity involve non-free software (i.e. the
> > OSes).
>
> FWIW, I have heard rumors that you can build several Windows programs
> under GNU/Linux (and I guess that's why Debian includes a mingw32
> package).  Not sure if Emacs falls into this category.

It doesn't, for the same reason Emacs cannot be cross-compiled
targeting any other system: building Emacs requires running the built
binary.  As long as dumping Emacs is being used, it's also impractical
with Emacs.

> At least I know it's possible to *run* the w32 version of Emacs
> under GNU/Linux using Wine

AFAIK, running Emacs under Wine requires a specially-formatted
command, like "wine emacs.exe" or some such, so the build system needs
changes to support that, and so does CI.