Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:53:38 +0300

> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 21:33:35 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
>  > Are the non-pristine branches tracking master, or are they different
>  > branches forked from master?
>
> They are tracking master.  git branch -vv for one of them tells
> me for example
>
> * fast            e08b161 [origin/master: ahead 18] Minor improvement in
> frameset.el
>    master          03f64eb [origin/master: behind 108] * src/fns.c
> (Fbuffer_hash): Doc fix.
>    slow            13cf940 [origin/master: ahead 87, behind 511] Merge branch
> 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs into slow

Then I don't understand why Git would force you to commit.  IME, it
happens only when the pulled changes modify the same places as your
uncommitted changes.  And even then I'm given a choice of committing
or stashing; the latter will allow to leave your changes uncommitted,
if you "git stash pop" after pulling.

What version of Git do you have installed?