Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:39:50 -0400

> Did you customize your system's mouse speed?  It sounds strange that a
> single click scrolls 15 lines by default.  Is that what happens with
> other applications?

This whole issue is due to changes to the underlying hardware.  AFAICT,
it started with the "mouse wheel" which had fairly coarse "steps", but
nowadays we can get such events from touchpad scrolling gestures, and
given todays's touchpads's size and resolution (and the habit of using
capacitive touch screens with pixel-level scrolling) people expect
a much finer control, so events are generated for much finer movements.
Hence the desire to reduce the default mouse-wheel-scroll-amount (IME
other applications have also changed correspondingly).

I guess in response, mouse are themselves changing to also send finer
grained events, so as to adjust to the new expectations of
newer software.

        Stefan