Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 11:24:33 +0200

?? You said this:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:47 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:22:36 +0000
>>
>>  mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(1 ((shift) . 5) ((control) . nil))
>>  mouse-wheel-progressive-speed nil
>>
>> FWIW, I like the suggested default change too. I anyways had the progressive
>> speed set to nil in my config.
>
> It is strange that you-all say that, while for me the defaults work
> quite well.

So, if the defaults work quite well for you, I conclude that your vote
is against changing them.

>> But regardless of the above question about the default value of
>> 'mouse-wheel-scroll-amount', I think none of us like the
>> Emacs-specific acceleration of the mouse-wheel scrolling.  IOW, we all
>> prefer 'mouse-wheel-progressive-speed' set to nil by default.
>
> That is a separate issue, and almost everything in this thread,
> including what I wrote, described the original scroll amount, which is
> unaffected by this variable.  I'm not sure I even see its effect in my
> testing, and no one presented a clear recipe for me to be sure.

The recipe is: visit a (large enough) file and scroll through it by
spinning the wheel of the mouse quickly enough (e.g. 4 "wheel steps"
in half of a second approx.).  Maybe you can't reproduce this on your
environment, I don't know.  In all the environments I've done that,
the scrolling is too fast and accelerated.  I can't imagine who may
want that behavior, but maybe there are some people who do.  In any
case, it seems clear that most people don't what this feature, hence
it should be disabled by default.

--
Dani Moncayo