Re: Change Tramp syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Change Tramp syntax
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 10:46:20 +0200

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi John,

> Since you know the code well, do you think it's easy to add my own
> file-name-handler that will insert the missing "ssh:" and resubmit to Tramp?

Adding another file name handler would be complicate, because Tramp
plays with inhibit-file-name-{handlers, operation} internally. And other
packages call Tramp functions directly, which might cause also problems.

But Tramp supports already two different syntaxes, the well known
"/method:address@hidden:" syntax, and the XEmacs style "/[method/address@hidden"
syntax. You can select which syntax to use by changing `tramp-syntax'.

It shouldn't be too hard to add a third variant "/address@hidden:". Give me
some days to play with.

Best regards, Michael.