Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 08:14:48 -0400

On 2017-04-04 06:27, address@hidden wrote:

> But on the other hand I think there is a valid use case for using Emacs
> for things like batch processing, web servers and such. And in those
> cases startup time matters. Again otoh, you might want to use
> emacsclient together with a long running emacs in those cases. But I'm
> not really using emacs for that sort of thing so one should listen to
> the people actually doing it primarily.

I use Emacs in batch mode a lot; using a server is tricky, because anything you
load or change on one run persists until the across future executions (for
example one execution might load a file, then the next one might forget to load
the file explicitly, but still work well because that file was previously
loaded; when you run the program again in a fresh instance, things fail).

Additionally, there are bugs in Emacsclient that make it tricky to use on its
own, so my current code relies on two instances of Emacs: a long-lived one and
a short-lived on. THe short-lived one is used to connect to the long-running
server. (This saves a lot because most of the execution time is otherwise spent