Re: master cd0a795: Output number of characters added to file (Bug#354)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master cd0a795: Output number of characters added to file (Bug#354)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 15:50:41 -0700

On 04/07/2017 12:14 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
P.S. In the future, it might be better to voice such objections while
the patch is being discussed,

All true. Still, I didn't realize how annoying the new behavior would be until I started using it. Formerly, when I typed C-x C-s I would typically get a little message in the echo area that I could ignore. Now the extra length often causes the message to take more than one line, which causes the lowest mode line to do a little dance to get out of the way so that the echo area can temporarily take two lines, and this is quite irritating.

So, having tried it, I would rather not see these character counts and would rather have the default be the way things were.