Re: Language Servers and Emacs

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Language Servers and Emacs
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 12:44:45 -0400

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:36:07 +0200 Philippe Vaucher
<address@hidden> wrote:

> > I'm mentioning this here because I think the Emacs community
> > would be interested in this capability, though I suspect that it
> > would also be really neat if GCC developed a language server for
> > C and C++.
>
> Apparently someone started working on this outside of emacs-dev:
> https://github.com/sourcegraph/emacs-lsp

Indeed, though it seems fairly simple compared to what is possible.
It should be feasible, for example, to do things like having a
language mode highlight errors (not just syntax errors but type
errors and the like) in real time, provide easy renaming of
identifiers across whole projects, provide smart completion, etc.

I'm also imagining features where you can request documentation for
any function or variable and it will pop up a formatted version of
the documentation comment, just like you can do for elisp today.

Especially if GCC and other Gnu tools gained Language Server
capabilities, this could provide a substantial win for programmers
using Emacs.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden