Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 07:38:53 -0700

On 04/12/2017 02:28 AM, martin rudalics wrote:
Doesn't this mean that many people don't really care about
trailing whitespace?

No, as I recall the Git configuration was made optional because some developers objected to autogen.sh automatically setting transfer.fsckObjects in the Git configuration. I do not know the basis for these objections.

autogen.sh reflects a compromise among various viewpoints. Lots of people (including me) don't particularly like it in its current form, which is a common property of compromises.