Re: scroll-down with pixel transition

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: scroll-down with pixel transition
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 10:37:41 +0300

> From: Tak Kunihiro <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:40:28 +0900
> Cc: Kunihiro Tak <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> This helps a lot.  Thank you!

You are welcome.

I think we should have a minor mode that scrolls "smoothly" as in your
code.  Would you like to code that for inclusion in Emacs?

> Now (1) I can scroll single line up or down with `pixel transition'.
> Also (2) I can scroll a pixel up or down.
>
> For (2), concern remains.  After a pixel scroll by (2), typing C-n or
> C-p scrolls the window to make it fully visible, and undos the effect
> of the pixel-level scroll.

This particular issue probably comes from line-move and its
subroutines, and could be fixed there, given some user option.  But my
point is more general: allowing pixel-level scrolling in Emacs
requires a thorough review of the related functionalities, to make
sure none of them zeroes out vscroll where users won't want that.