Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 20:13:05 -0400

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 16:48:54 -0700 (PDT) Drew Adams
<address@hidden> wrote:
> > the patches allow the user to customize the column number
> > in column-number-mode to start from one instead of from zero.
>
> Why?

Because all compilers spit out errors that start at column 1 and not
0, and this means that what I see in the mode line will match the
error output of the compilers I use (including those following GNU
coding standards, which see.)

It is not the default, it is a new knob you can turn. If you don't
like the feature, then don't set the variable controlling it.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden