Re: make-thread with lambda form instead of function symbol

From: Andrew Cohen
Subject: Re: make-thread with lambda form instead of function symbol
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:59:22 +0800

It would be great to get the searches done concurrently. This is the
last serious (IMHO) problem with gnus searches---the searching part can
take a long time. The current implementation tries to collect everything
to minimize connections to the backends (i.e. searching multiple groups
on a single backend should use a single connection) but even imap
searching gets to be a pain when several imap servers are involved.

Just a side comment: the existing nnir-run-query handles multiple groups
with different backends mostly just fine (albeit searching sequentially
rather than concurrently). The limitation is that the search query must
be common to the different backends (this is the big issue that your
general search query language would fix). I (used to) routinely combine
gmane, namazu, and imap groups in my searches (used to since I stopped
using namazu long ago and gmane search is now defunct :().

And a side-side comment: if the different backends allow different
criteria then search groups from different backends will prompt for
different criteria for each backend. Cumbersome but occasionally
helpful.

Andy