Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 17:17:23 +0300

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 08:53:26 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Please also add a NEWS entry about this new option.
>
> Will write one. How does one do a patch for that, given that by the
> time this is applied it may be in the wrong place? Or should I just
> include the blurb and whomever does the commit will add it?

The place where the entry ends up isn't important, because usually
NEWS entries get rearranged shortly before the release anyway.

> > I think it's best to have
> > it in xdisp.c, where the feature is implemented, in which case you
> > should add the necessary stuff to cus-start.el to allow its
> > customization by Custom.
>
> I thought that since the rest of the lisp side was done there
> (including the minor mode) that it was better to have it in the .el
> file. Do you have a strong opinion?

It isn't a strong opinion, it just will make it easier to find the
implementation given the option and vice versa.  We do have exceptions
from this semi-rule, so this could be another one.

> > What about the required change to mode_line_update_needed?
>
> I no longer need that since I now only increment the column number for
> the routine that generates the modeline string and not for the
> variable in the window structure. See the patch for details.

Right you are, sorry for missing that.