Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Advice needed on modeline customization hack...
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 11:24:01 -0400

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 17:17:23 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 08:53:26 -0400
> > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
> > address@hidden
> > > Please also add a NEWS entry about this new option.
> >
> > Will write one. How does one do a patch for that, given that by
> > the time this is applied it may be in the wrong place? Or should
> > I just include the blurb and whomever does the commit will add
> > it?
>
> The place where the entry ends up isn't important, because usually
> NEWS entries get rearranged shortly before the release anyway.

Here is my proposed entry:

------
** New variable 'column-number-indicator-zero-based'
Traditionally, in Column Number mode, the displayed column number
counts from zero starting at the left margin of the window. This
behavior is now controlled by 'column-number-indicator-zero-based'.
If you would prefer for the displayed column number to count from one,
you may set this variable to nil. (Behind the scenes, there is now a
new mode line construct, '%C', which operates exactly as '%c' does
except that it counts from one.)
------

If the patch is accepted, will this go in 25.2 or in the master
branch? My patches are currently vs. master on the assumption that
25.2 was about to go out the door.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden