Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: libnettle/libhogweed WIP
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:44:28 -0400

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 16:50:48 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> * factored out extract_data_from_object() from secure_hash() which
TZ>   incidentally defines a data format for data extraction
TZ>   (BUFFER-OR-STRING INPUT-START INPUT-END CODING-SYSTEM NOERROR) because
TZ>   I really didn't want my functions to take 20+ parameters.

I'd like to allow files here, but I'd also like to avoid reading them
into a buffer or a string just to use with extract_data_from_object().

There's no Lisp_Object AFAIK to represent a file. So for
BUFFER-OR-STRING what do I use to indicate a file?

"file:///the/path" ; a special string format: URL format

(file "/the/path") ; a nested list with a symbol

(insert-file-contents-literally "/the/path") ; a form, called in a temp buffer?

If there's any precedent for this, let me know please.

Thanks
Ted