Re: scroll-down with pixel transition

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: scroll-down with pixel transition
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:29:55 -0400

>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:05:25 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> Our convention is to end user option names in '-flag', when they are
>> for users to set.  Let's document that, if it isn't already.

> It is not currently documented in code conventions.

I think it used to be there, but I demoted it to:

    @item @dots{}-flag
    The value is significant only as to whether it is @code{nil} or not.
    Since such variables often end up acquiring more values over time,
    this convention is not strongly recommended.

in variables.texi.
In my experience, using FOO instead of FOO-flag is a better choice.

Also, many boolean config variables can be introduced as minor modes
(in which case their name should end in "-mode").

        Stefan