Re: Language Servers and Emacs

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Language Servers and Emacs
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 22:00:38 -0400

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 18:06:40 -0500 Katherine Cox-Buday
<address@hidden> wrote:
> > I think that ENSIME (for Scala) has a protocol in there as
> > well.
>
> They do, and there is an open discussion[1] on supporting the LSP
> protocol.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see broad support for this in emacs so I can
> learn the "emacs way" of interacting with code that works across
> various languages with different backends. It seems like every
> language's mode/backend does things slightly differently.

Indeed.

I suspect that most of the ways of interacting with external language
tools other than LSP will fade over time, but whether or not that's
the case, it clearly seems to be smarter to have an external language
tool than to have to duplicate the work of parsing and managing
symbol tables inside the editor.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden